Athletics and Activities
The Kansas State High School Athletic Association (KSHSAA) believes that participation in school activities is critical for the students of Kansas. That is why they voted against a proposol on Tuesday, July 28, that would have postponed the start of fall sports 2020. This decision means that practices may begin on August 17 for football, volleyball, boys soccer, girls golf and tennis, and cross country.
They believe that the coronavirus pandemic has resulted in thousands of Kansas students missing out on lifeshaping educational experiences. On their website, they state that "The risk of coronavirus transmission will still be present to some degree as school activities begin. Students and their families, along with school personnel must recognize these risks and implement best practices to reasonably mitigate these
risks. Participation in school activities is voluntary and every individual will need to evaluate the risk versus the benefits of activity participation. Those immunocompromised students and staff, or those who live with family members with elevated health concerns, should evaluate associated risks of participation
and may choose not to participate." -KSHSAA Considerations for a Return to School Activities
KSHSAA Universal Guidelines/Personal Hygiene
- ANYONE feeling sick should stay home and contact their healthcare provider. Participating while symptomatic could potentially jeopardize the entire activities program in their school and other schools for an extended period of time.
- Maintain social distancing (6’) when possible.
- Masks/face coverings should be worn at all times by all personnel, including students, except when students are directly participating in the activity. Wearing a mask should never be discouraged unless it poses a safety risk.
- Cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing with a tissue or cough/sneeze into your elbow.
- Frequent hand washing for 20 seconds with soap and water or using a hand sanitizer with a minimum of 60% alcohol.
- Keep your hands away from your face.
- Participants should shower, change, and launder workout clothing as soon as possible after an activity.
Event Guidelines for Spectators
The Haysville Board of Education (BOE) voted on November 9, 2020, that all extracurricular activities will continue but with no on-site spectators allowed. Activities and Athletics will be live-streamed for an audience when possible.
KSHSAA Activity Specific Considerations
Fall Sports Info