Athletics and Activities
The Kansas State High School Athletic Association (KSHSAA) believes that participation in school activities is critical for the students of Kansas. That is why they voted against a proposol on Tuesday, July 28, that would have postponed the start of fall sports 2020. This decision means that practices may begin on August 17 for football, volleyball, boys soccer, girls golf and tennis, and cross country.
They believe that the coronavirus pandemic has resulted in thousands of Kansas students missing out on lifeshaping educational experiences. On their website, they state that "The risk of coronavirus transmission will still be present to some degree as school activities begin. Students and their families, along with school personnel must recognize these risks and implement best practices to reasonably mitigate these
risks. Participation in school activities is voluntary and every individual will need to evaluate the risk versus the benefits of activity participation. Those immunocompromised students and staff, or those who live with family members with elevated health concerns, should evaluate associated risks of participation
and may choose not to participate." -KSHSAA Considerations for a Return to School Activities
KSHSAA Universal Guidelines/Personal Hygiene
- ANYONE feeling sick should stay home and contact their healthcare provider. Participating while symptomatic could potentially jeopardize the entire activities program in their school and other schools for an extended period of time.
- Maintain social distancing (6’) when possible.
- Masks/face coverings should be worn at all times by all personnel, including students, except when students are directly participating in the activity. Wearing a mask should never be discouraged unless it poses a safety risk.
- Cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing with a tissue or cough/sneeze into your elbow.
- Frequent hand washing for 20 seconds with soap and water or using a hand sanitizer with a minimum of 60% alcohol.
- Keep your hands away from your face.
- Participants should shower, change, and launder workout clothing as soon as possible after an activity.
Event Guidelines for Spectators
Campus High School, Haysville West Middle School, and Haysville Middle School will be using league guidelines for setting crowd limits at activities this year. In light of Covid-19 concerns, the league recommends member schools limit spectator attendance to a maximum capacity of 25 percent for each venue. This recommendation is for the fall 2020 season and will remain in effect until such a time the league determines it is no longer necessary.
These guidelines were developed by member schools with the hope of providing a safe and healthy environment for the participants as well as everyone in attendance.
The following guidelines are for all fall activities. For other activities with unpaid admission, we ask that only family members attend and social distance while there.
- Spectators will be limited to 2 per participant with a maximum of 25%
- Each participant will get an event specific wristband (Campus) or voucher (middle schools) that they will be responsible to distribute to their spectators.
- Spectators must wear the event specific wristband on their wrist or have their voucher in hand in order to purchase their ticket at the event and enter the venue. Wristbands must be worn during the event.
- All passes will be suspended until the spectator restrictions are lifted.
o This includes staff ID's, senior citizen pass, pass gate lists and league passes.
- Spectators will be expected to wear masks at all events.
- Spectators should sit as family units and social distance.
- Spectators will not be allowed near participant groups, or on fields/courts. Only essential personnel will be allowed near participant groups.
- All of these spectator guidelines are subject to change based on local conditions.
- We will be limited to one entrance and have no pass gate.
- Concessions may or may NOT be available depending on the event.
KSHSAA Activity Specific Considerations
Fall Sports Info